Age: 66 years
Total models: 24
Active models: 16
Discontinued models: 8
Founded in 1954 in Taiwan, Sanyang Motor Co., Ltd. sells its products under the brand name SYM. The company started as Sanyang Electrics and initially produced dynamo lights for bicycles. After being restructured in 1961 the company began to work together with Honda and later Hyundai. It porduces ATV, motorcycles and scooters with the SYM logo as well as several models of automobiles and mini-trucks for the Hundai brand.
- Company founded to produce dynamos for bicycles
- Agreement with honda to locally assemble motorcycles
- start of assembly of Honda cars (N600, TN360)
- Grey market SYM scooters appear in US
- Establishing of an afficial importer in the US
- Range of new scooters GTS 125 cc, 200 cc and 250 cc
- Opening new plant in Japan
- Carter Brothers Mfg. Co. Inc. acquire exclusive distribution rights for US
- Arson destroys about 3000 unsold scooters in warehouse
- Renaming Sanyang Industry to Sanyang Motor Co. Ltd.